Drainage Analysis with StreamBuilder v2.02
StreamBuilder is an extension for MapInfo Professional which
gives you the ability to build drainage basins, stream networks and flow paths
directly from a digital elevation model, with no other input required.
With a few mouse clicks, and working entirely within MapInfo Professional,
you can extract the drainage information from the DEM in a highly accurate,
efficient and user-friendly manner.
Modes of Operation
You can extract drainage information from a DEM in one of 2 ways using
Drainage for selected Outlets
You select a number of outlet locations and StreamBuilder builds a drainage
basin and/or stream network for each outlet. StreamBuilder will assign any
attributes from the selected outlets to the basins, thus allowing thematic
mapping and other analysis.
Drainage for entire DEM
StreamBuilder examines the entire DEM to identify drainage outlets.
For each drainage outlet identified, a drainage basin and/or stream network will
be generated if the drainage basin is larger than a threshold area.
For each of these drainage generation methods, you have the option of
creating sub-basins and streams for each outlet, or creating just one basin (and
no streams) per outlet. If you choose to create sub-basins and streams,
then one sub-basin is created for each link in the stream network, thereby
producing a hierarchical set of drainage sub-basins.
You can also build Flow Paths from any number of source points. The
flow paths trace the path that water would take if draining from the source
In the above images, sub-basins and streams were generated for one selected
outlet selected located in the main drainage channel at the bottom right of the
StreamBuilder uses MapInfo's extensible grid architecture to read any grid
file for which there is a grid format handler available.
- MapInfo *.mig (grid handler supplied in MapInfo Professional v5.5+)
- Vertical Mapper *.grd (grid handler supplied in MapInfo Professional v6.0+)
- ER Mapper and other bil (grid handler available in Discover 4.0+)
- Geosoft (grid handler available in Discover 4.0+)
- USGS DEM formats (DEM, DTED, GTOPO - grid handlers supplied in MapInfo
- other formats if grid handler is available
- StreamBuilder will also read ER Mapper bil, Arc/Info GridAscii, and Ascii
XYZ format files directly
Depending on the processing options you have selected, StreamBuilder will
output some or all of the following:
- Table of polygons representing the catchments
- Table of polylines representing links in the stream network or polylines of
- Table of points representing nodes in the drainage network
- Table of points representing drainage outlets, to aid in sample site
- Optional grids of flow direction and upstream area
- Log file showing processing steps, output and statistics
Need more information ? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
back to top